A Comparative Study of My Favorite Music Sources
Oh, WRCT. We go way back. My first show was called "Your Mom is NP-Complete." Then there was "Fraggle Rock." For one summer, a questionably-legal PA show called "Masterpiece Radio" where I read books for an hour. Also, I used to live in the Mockster's house. So WRCT certainly gets the sentimentality vote hardcore. Aww...check out this cute article that Rob Cullen wrote about the station in 2008.
Cost: Free
Selection: With one of the largest record libraries on the East Coast (at 70k vinyl records, CDs, and maybe even some dusty tapes), it easily has the capacity to be beyond amazing in the right hands.
Cons: Unreliable webstream: it's been down for the past week--get it together, eng staff! Like all college radio stations, schedule can be uneven. Occasional NFAPs and techno hours.
I've been a continuous member of emusic since May 2007, and it's pretty terrific how much the site has grown since then. Good for you, surviving tech-boom startup! I hope for their sake that they are making boatloads of money now.
Cost: $14.99 per month for 37 credits (because of this bangin' nonstandard plan, I can never stop my account)
Selection: B/B+ when I first signed up, has since dramatically expanded their catalog to solid A status, if you don't mind the wait for new releases
Cons: Albums that cost 12 credits for fewer than 12 tracks
A first-screen fixture since I got an iPhone last fall and installed their app. An excellent choice for those 4 to 5 hour stretches of studying because by the end, I'm practically guaranteed to have discovered a new artist I like--and subsequently look for on emusic. Takes some fine-tuning to figure out the best station to have on though...with some artist seeds (guilty admission: No Doubt), it never really seems to branch out that much.
Cost: Free
Selection: Varies
Cons: Can't run in the background
A recent re-discovery/adoption (as in, last weekend), though I've been living in Philly for a good while now. I have yet to hear something new and attention-grabbing-must-download-now on here, but it's a solid source of non-mainstream music I already like.
Cost: Free, other than occasional guilt and probable bad karma for not donating
Selection: B+
Cons: Talking, pledge drives
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home