Why start something you don't feel like finishing?

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

How to get a Netgear wireless router to work with Verizon DSL

The DSL modem I received with Verizon residential DSL service was the Westell 6100.
The wireless router I purchased at Radioshack for $20 (thank you, Fatwallet) was the Netgear WGR614.

When set-up was first attempted, the wireless network was visible and I could connect to it via my laptop and even get assigned an IP address. But I could not get on the internet (ie, via the web browser).

Internet research revealed that the problem lay in the fact that the Westell is also a router. Despite my undergraduate degree in computer science, I can't explain why it doesn't work but the idea of linking two routers together does leave me vaguely uncomfortable.

Here's the solution:
1. Make the Westell into a bridge. (Essentially, you are removing its router capabilities and leaving it up to the Netgear to do PPPoE.)
1a) Disconnect the Netgear for now.
1b) Connect the Westell directly to your computer via the ethernet port.
1c) Go to 192.168.1.1 in your web browser. Log in with "admin" and "password". Optional: once you are logged in, you can change these default values to something else of your choosing.
1d) Go to VC Configuration in the menu bar up top. You will see channel 35 set as PPPoE. Click Edit and change PPPoE to Bridge. Save changes.
1e) Turn off the Westell and unplug it from the wall and unplug it from your computer.

2. Configuring the Netgear router.
Prologue: consider upgrading your router's firmware before doing anything else. Download from http://kbserver.netgear.com.
2a) Connect the Netgear directly to your computer's ethernet port using one of the 4 ports on the back of the router.
2b) Go to http://routerlogin.net/basicsetting.htm in your web browser. Log in with "admin" and "password". Once again, once you are logged in, you can change these default values to something else if you wish.
2c) Change these settings:
Basic Settings
Yes
Other
[youraccountname]@verizon.net
[yourVerizonacctpassword]
Idle timeout 0
Wireless Settings
Fill in your desired SSID, and activate the security options you want
2d) Unplug the router from your computer and from the wall.

3. Turning everything back on.
3a) Connect the Westell to the Netgear. Leave your computer unconnected.
3b) Turn on the Westell and give it a few minutes to get settled. You'll notice that the Internet light is off--this is correct.
3c) Turn on the Netgear and give it a minute to blink its lights and such.
3d) Use your computer's wireless capability to find your network, connect, and get online.

Hopefully this will work for you too. I take no responsibility for you taking my advice, but having just figured this out the sort-of hard way, I figured I'd post a free solution on the internet for all of you. Enjoy.

PS. This Netgear router is totally cute. It's white and shiny, just like my ibook. I'm really glad I didn't have to exchange it for an ugly Linksys or D-Link in order to get the internet working.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always knew you were smart, but this really takes the cake...wow, brains and beauty. If you ever learn jiu jitsu, the world's in serious trouble.

7:55 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home