louder than LPs
Last Friday, I bid on a Louder Than Bombs LP on ebay, and won it for $6.01. It was located in Wayne, NJ (about 20 min from here) so I arranged with the seller to do local pick-up instead of paying for shipping. Unfortunately, when I got there today to pick it up, we discovered that the vinyl was scratched, to the point of skipping during playback. Disappointment. So the guy asked "Is there anything I can offer you instead? I have some other records..." I was just like ehhh and was about to leave, until it turned out that by "some other records", he meant an ENTIRE CLOSET of records that his partner (not sure about that one) had accumulated at garage sales. For the next two hours, I sifted through the stacks and came out with:
Adam and the Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier
Blondie - Parallel Lines
David Bowie - Changes
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
(Thrown in for free: Last Dance and Tonight)
The Clash - s/t
The Clash - Combat Rock
Duran Duran - Rio
Duran Duran - Seven and the Ragged Tiger
Erasure - The Innocents
Gary Numan and Tubeway Army - Replicas
Psychedelic Furs - Talk Talk Talk
Lou Reed - Transformer
Roxy Music - Avalon
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream
Squeeze - Argy Bargy
Grand total: $20.
Also, the guy works for some sort of video editing/archival place so he had a broadcast copy of Bowie's 1973 appearance on NBC's Midnight Special. The outfits alone are priceless, and Bowie changes his get-up for every segment. Amazing. The guy even made me a DVD copy. BEST EBAY TRANSACTION EVER.
Oh yeah, I also went mountain biking today for the first time on the Employee Dirt Demo trip with a Gary Fisher Cake and it was a lot of fun but right now at this second with a new stack of vinyl next to me, the excitement of the experience pales in comparison.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home