Why start something you don't feel like finishing?

Friday, August 05, 2005

cheap books and lots of em

the Parsippany library called on Tuesday morning to let me know that the book i requested had come in, but i didn't get around to picking it up until today (Dominion: the power of man, the suffering of animals, and the call to mercy by Michael Scully) and lo and behold, there was a book sale going down!!

it was like a pick-yr-own fruit farm, $3 per bag, if said farm were in a musty basement and books grew on trees, lovingly tended by farmhands older than dirt. that would be kinda awesome actually.

the $3 haul, in no particular order:
  1. The Woman Warrior, Kingston

  2. Silent Spring, Carson

  3. Abortion Decisions: The 1970s, Harrison and Gilbert, eds.

  4. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Adams (Shahrzad, i am finally going to read it!)

  5. Invisible Man, Ellison

  6. Antigone, Sophocles

  7. The Catcher in the Rye, Salinger

  8. The Art Buff's Book, Cady

  9. Of Human Bondage, Maugham

  10. The Handmaid's Tale, Atwood

  11. The Thanksgiving Visitor, Capote

  12. 'Tis, McCourt

  13. Catch-22, Heller

  14. And Then There Were None, Christie

  15. Anthology of American Literature Vol I: Colonial through Romantic, McMichael, ed.

  16. Anthology of American Literature Vol II: Realism to the Present, McMichael, ed.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the fruit farm analogy is really good. surprisingly good, in fact.

12:47 AM

 
Blogger s said...

finally!!

i think "the long dark teatime of the soul" is better, but read both!

i miss library book sales. the one back home used to have one every summer.

3:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catch 22 is an awesome book. Well, if you dig cynicism. Closing Time, the sequel seems to focus more on coming to terms with the end of your life, which doesn't quite resonate as strongly with the young 'uns.

10:49 PM

 
Blogger Katie said...

the sequel got some mediocre reviews on Amazon. did it resonate with you though?

6:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read it a while ago, so bear with me. I think I was moved by it because in my mind at least I thought it was autobiographical and about Heller coming to terms with the end of his own life. I didn't think that the writing was as polished as his earlier stuff, which tied in with my image of an old man who realizes that he's gotten old and simply isn't capable of what he used to be able to do. Sort of a game over, pack it in and close up shop type of book. I thought it was rather poignant and certainly worth reading. But no, it didn't resonate with me super well because I'm too young to understand a lot of what it was about.

5:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home