sent out to soapbox this morning...let me know what you think. also, it was pointed out to me later that i forgot to consider malpractice insurance as a factor, which makes up half the cost of practicing medicine.
-----------------------------------------------
From khchang@andrew.cmu.edu Mon Oct 27 15:27:25 2003
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:09:59 -0500 (EST)
From: Katie Chang
To: +dist+~clw5/soapbox.dl@pitt.edu
Subject: [soapbox] the state of medicine
I've been considering going to medical school, as of, oh 3 weeks ago. I graduate in May with a double major in computer science and English, so it was pretty much a bolt out of the blue. Sort of..there were of course some factors that probably subconsciously led to the revelation that it might be something I want to do, but that's not the point.
I just got 509 worth of gynecological care in 15 minutes. FIVE HUNDRED FUCKING DOLLARS. My insurance covered all but $25. But this led me to a few thoughts...
People who don't have insurance nearly as luxurious as I do are shit out of luck. That is seriously fucked up and it seriously makes me want to cry. Does thinking that all women should be able to be seen by a competent gynecologist when they think they might have cervical cancer make me a hopeless dreamer? (In particular, they should be able to see a female gynecologist if they prefer, but that's also another story.) Does thinking that in general people shouldn't have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for healthcare make me a dirty socialist?
So this led to me to wonder, why DO they charge so much? Aside from the pessimistic view that they're out to make money and lots of it, is maybe the inhibitive cost of attending med school and becoming a doctor a factor?
I'll assume that all people who become doctors have at least a modicum of wanting to help other human beings as their motivation for doing so. But it would seem that we as patients would be better off if everyone who wanted to be a doctor could do so, and not just if he or she could afford it.
So in the interest of time, here's my proposed flow chart.
medschool free -> less debts upon graduation ->less pressure to pay off loans by charging high fees for services -> makes private practice less lucrative, more affordable, accessible, and altruistic
Unlikely? Probably.
So where does this leave me, I don't know. If I become a doctor, what is the middle ground between making a million dollars and not being swamped by debt? What is the middle ground between taking money from those who can afford it and benefiting those who can't? (Like Robin Hood..)
Your thoughts?
-Katie
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home